roundworm puppyRoundworms is the common name for several species of nematodes or ascarids. The name roundworms is derived from the tubular shape of the worms. Several species can infect dogs, but the species Toxocara canis can cause significant problems in humans as well as the species found in raccoons, Baylisascaris procyonis.

Dogs can become infested with roundworms by ingesting the eggs in the environment deposited in fecal matter, through the placenta while in the womb, or in the milk when nursing. The larvae then migrate through the liver and lungs of the puppy where they enter the air way, are coughed up, and then swallowed. They then settle in the intestinal tract absorbing the nutrients that should be meant for your puppy. A lot of damage is done when they are migrating through the body.

In humans, accidental ingestion of roundworm eggs can also migrate internally causing a syndrome know as visceral larva migrans. Signs of  VLM  can be characterized by hepatomegaly (liver enlargement), lung disease, and increase in eosinophils from allergic reactions. The larva can also migrate through the nervous system causing neurologic disease.
In some children, the larvae can migrate to the eyes causing inflammation and may result in blindness.

roundworms 300x221 Roundworms in Puppies

Contamination of the environment by raccoons has caused  significant problems in some regions. The migration of the raccoon roundworms also cause more significant disease problems. Accidental ingestion has also occurred when children may have chewed on firewood, or when playing in contaminated sandboxes or playgrounds. The best defense for this is to be sure children do not chew on objects that may have been contaminated and to wash their hands after playing outside.

Because of the potential infection of people, puppies and dogs should
be de-wormed every 2 weeks starting at 2 weeks of age and then once a month as maintenance when 4 months old. The newer heartworm and flea preventions also include a dewormer to control hookworms and roundworms. Dogs infested with roundworms can pass thousands of eggs in their feces. These eggs can survive in the environment  and be
infective for several years.

For more information, visit Pets and Parasites What every Pet owner Should Know about Hookworms and Roundworms

Roundworms -Ascariasis

Antifreeze Danger

ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center warns pet owners:

Prevention is key to avoiding accidental ingestion of antifreeze!

Who: The ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC), an operating division of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is the only animal-oriented poison control center in North America. The NAPCC is a unique, emergency hotline providing 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week telephone assistance.

What: Motorists can help prevent accidental ingestion of antifreeze. According to a study conducted by the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center, most cases of antifreeze poisoning occur around the pet’s own home and are usually due to improper storage or disposal. Therefore, NAPCC wants to educate vehicle owners on the safe use, storage and disposal of antifreeze to help prevent accidental ingestion.



The following guidelines help pet owners avoid pet exposures to antifreeze.



ASPCA Antifreeze Poisoning Prevention Tips

* Always clean up antifreeze spills immediately.
* Check your car regularly for leaks.
* Always store antifreeze containers in clearly marked containers and in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. * Never allow your pets to have access to the area when you are draining antifreeze from your car.
* Propylene glycol-containing products, such as Prestone Low Tox™ brand antifreeze, are a less toxic form of antifreeze and could be used instead of conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze.

If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately!

Contact: For consultation services: ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center 1-888-4ANI-HELP

For more pet poison prevention tips, visit